Become a Master Composter! Minimize your carbon footprint. Keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill reduces harmful methane gas emissions. Use this “waste” to create amendments for your garden.
Become a Master Composter!
- Minimize your carbon footprint. Keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill reduces harmful methane gas emissions.
- Use this “waste” to create amendments for your garden. Compost use reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- Reduce water use and increase water retention. Compost increases your soil’s water-holding capacity and improves water retention.
The Master Composter course provides training in the art and science of composting through lectures, demonstrations, and a field trip.
The Course Covers the Following Topics:
- Traditional composting & vermicomposting
- Compost bin building and troubleshooting (in teams!)
- Microbiology of composting
- Bokashi fermentation
- Macrodecomposers in your compost pile
- Environmental impacts
- … and much more!
Master Composter certification requires attendance at all five classes, as well as 30 volunteer hours of related community service. Meet new people in this fun, hands-on course and develop your composting knowledge, all while serving your community! Class size is limited.
This class will meet Saturdays from 10 am to 1 pm.
- Week 1 – March 11
- Week 2 – March 18
- SKIP – March 25
- Week 3 – April 1
- Week 4 – April 8
- Week 5 – April 15
Residents of unincorporated County of San Diego will receive preferential registration. All others will be placed on a waitlist and apprised of space available 1-2 weeks before the start of the course. You must register at bit.ly/3vmrKnA to attend.
BEFORE REGISTERING, please enter your address here to check your residency. You can select the County of San Diego Residents ticket option ONLY if your jurisdiction boundary result is “S.D. COUNTY.” All others must select the waitlist option.
Course Fee: $25 If this course fee presents a financial hardship, it may be waived upon request. Please contact Kelsea Jacobsen at email@example.com before registering to inquire.
March 11 (Saturday) 10:00 am - April 15 (Saturday) 1:00 pm
Surprise Farm Retreat Center
18892 Old Julian Trail