This is a repeating eventmay 14, 2022 9:00 am
Become a Master Composter! The five-week Master Composter course provides training in the art and science of composting. The course includes lectures, guest speakers, demonstrations, and a field
Become a Master Composter! The five-week Master Composter course provides training in the art and science of composting. The course includes lectures, guest speakers, demonstrations, and a field trip.
- Minimize your carbon footprint. Keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill reduces harmful methane gas emissions.
- Use this “waste” to create amendments for your garden. Compost use reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- Reduce water use and increase water retention. Compost increases your soil’s water-holding capacity and improves water retention.
The Master Composter course provides training in the art and science of composting. The course includes lectures, demonstrations, and a field trip. The course covers the following topics:
- Traditional composting
- Compost bin building and troubleshooting (in teams!)
- Bugs in your compost pile
- Environmental impacts
- Much more!
Master Composter certification requires attendance at all 5 classes, as well as 30 volunteer hours of related community service. Meet new people in this fun, hands-on course and develop your composting knowledge, all while serving your community! Class size is limited.
This class will meet Saturdays from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM:
- Week 1 – May 7
- Week 2 – May 14
- Week 3 – May 21
- [No class on Memorial Day weekend]
- Week 4 – June 4
- Week 5 – June 11
Residents of unincorporated San Diego County will receive preferential registration. All others will be placed on a waitlist and apprised of space available 1-2 weeks before the start of the course.
SPECIAL OFFER! All participants will receive a free kitchen scrap container* after attending the first two classes.
Hold your free spot: https://bit.ly/35qdoJo
This course has been made possible through generous funding from the County of San Diego. In partnership with the Spring Valley Branch Library.
*Limit 1 per household.
(Saturday) 9:00 am - 12:00 pm